Are You Getting The Maximum Benefits From Your SPF?
Sunscreen is a product we all definitely should keep in our skincare regime. While it may seem unnecessary ( “do I really need that sunscreen in the winter?”) or overkill ( “I have an SPF in my makeup/moisturizer so I should be fine”), there are definitely more reasons than not to be faithful to your SPF.
Here are several ways you can be sure to get all of the benefits your SPF has to offer:
1. Use Your Sunscreen All Year Round
It’s just as important to keep your skin protected in the cold weather as it is warm weather.
We tend to forget about the sun’s rays when the weather is colder, because our brains are programmed to only consider “heat” as “harmful.” This is definitely not the case. The sun’s rays are just as powerful in the winter, and we actually are more susceptible to damage during those months than when we are in the winter because they can creep up on us.
2. Use a Higher SPF
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. This is a scale which tells you what level of protection the sunscreen will provide against UVB rays.
The minimum you should be using is a 30 SPF, but you can go as high as 50 SPF to gain the maximum benefit of the product.
Tip: You don’t necessarily have to go higher than 50 SPF, but the key is to reapply every few hours.
3. Choose a Product With Broad Spectrum Coverage
Broad Spectrum Coverage is a term that means your product will give you dual protection from UVA and UVB rays.
What’s the difference?
UVA rays are the one which cause wrinkles, discoloration and has been linked to skin cancer.
UVB rays are responsible for burns ( ever get a really nasty sunburn?) and have also been linked to cancer.
Since our skin is exposed to both of these types of rays when we are out in the sun, it’s definitely important to make sure we choose a broad spectrum sunscreen.
4. Use a Lotion or Cream Rather than an Aerosol
Aerosols are super easy and convenient to use, but they don’t always give you an even application. Especially on windy days.
If you use a lotion, you have more control over the amount you’re applying and how much coverage.
5. Apply, Reapply, Repeat, Repeat
Putting on one layer in the morning before you go out isn’t going to cut it. You have to keep re-applying every two hours when you’re going to be in direct sunlight. If you have a wide-brimmed hat, wearing it would provide you with extra protection as well.
Here are some sunscreen products I recommend:
- L’Oreal UV Perfect Sunblock SPF 50: This is the maximum amount recommended, plus the price is very wallet friendly.
- Pharmaceris Sun Protect SPF 30 Face Cream: Again, 30 is the standard, so this would be a great one to choose. With any Sunscreen, be sure to reapply every two hours.
- Avène Very High Protection Emulsion SPF 50 and SPF 50 Cream in 50 mL : Avène is the go-to brand I’ve been using for over a year now. I discovered it in a subscription box ( which is why I totally recommend getting a GlamBox each month; it’s the best way to try new things and discover cool stuff), and have been using it ever since.
Best Ombré Highlighters Reminiscent of Beautiful Summer Sunsets is the perfect companion piece to this article! Check it out!