My Favorite Summer 2018 Beauty Trends
Summer 2018 has brought us a superb assortment of fresh trends and looks. Some are tried and true ( such as the amped up use of bronzer and shimmer products ) and some a little more bold and daring ( like the orange smokey eye and color block eyeshadows ).
Here are a few of my favorite trends for Summer 2018:
1. No Foundation Look
The name says it all. Instead of using a full face of foundation, you can use a dab of concealer wherever you feel necessary. You can also use a small amount of your favorite BB or CC cream as well.
This understated look extends even into the eyes, cheeks and lips. If you’re wanting to try this look, remember that the goal is to create a fresh and natural glowing appearance. Only a hint of color is necessary to achieve this.
I like to take a fluffy brush and apply a hint of warm blush in a small circle on both of my cheeks. To find the right place, look at yourself in the mirror and smile. Then circle the blush around the apples of your cheeks. Be sure to keep it light and breezy; less is more. You can opt for a more dramatic color, just brush it on as thinly as possible. You want the blush to look like a glowing veil.
With lips, again, less is more. Opt for a lighter, rosy colored gloss or dab on a small amount of cream lip color and blend out until it looks almost faded. You want it to have a hint of color, not a full out glam lip. Lip balms and tinted lip moisturizers are perfect for this look also.
Eyes are completely optional. When I’m doing this look, I honestly like to just use a good volumizing mascara with no eye color.
Here’s a quick checklist of products to help you create this gorgeous ( and super easy ) look:
- MUA Pro Base Conceal and Brighten Kit: This three-toned palette comes in the shades Porcelain, Natural and Beige. If you’re on a budget or don’t want to buy a lot of different products, this pretty much takes care of seventy-five percent of your entire look. The palette comes with a concealer, bronzer and blusher. It is cream based, so you want to make sure and use just a touch when first applying, because when it comes to creams, a little bit goes a very long way.
- MUA Skin Define Hydro Foundation in Beige: Apply a very thin layer all over the face. You can blend this with your favorite facial moisturizer and serum if you like. Use two drops of foundation and one drop of serum; this “cuts” the foundation and makes it thinner, more sheer and will give your face an ethereal glow.
- MUA Pro Shimmer Kiss Blusher in Pink Shimmer Kisses and MUA Luxe Whipped Velvet Blush in Chichi are two products I definitely recommend if you’re wanting to add a little color to your cheeks.
- MUA Sweet Sheen Lip Balm in Coral Reef and Cherry Bomb: Either of these colors will give you that soft, sweet lip which will finish out this look. dab just the tiniest bit on your bottom lip, then pucker your lips together a few times. You just want a small hint of color on your lips.
- Brushes: I recommend MUA Angled Contour Buffer Brush because it will help blend the color and it is angled so you can create a bit of light contour and highlight if you wish.
- Mascara: MUA Eye Define Nourish Care Mascara would be the perfect way to finish this look. It will give you big, bold and beautiful lashes to accentuate your natural eye shape and color.
2. Bold and Bright Colors for Lips and Eyes
Never in my life did I think something as outspoken as a “red” or “orange” smokey eye ever be on trend.
I remember people thinking I was off my rocker when I wore a hot pink MAC color on my lids back in the early 2000’s. That was when bold colors were not as mainstream as they are now.
With this look, you can rock an entire face of foundation if you so choose. Personally, I like a more nude or fresh faced look when using vivid colors. This is also one of those trends where you can have both glammed up eyes and lips, as long as the color palette you use is complimentary. In other words, you want to keep the palette either warm or cool, but don’t mix them. Doing so will flatten your look and detract from the color story you’re trying to tell.
My recommended products to complete this look:
- MUA Pro 15 Shade Eyeshadow Palette in Fire Vixen and or MUA 25 Shade Eyeshadow Palette in Burning Embers. Both of these palettes have some gorgeous reds and oranges for you to create your beautiful bright, poppy eye.
- MUA Whipped Velvet Lips in Chichi and MUA Lipstick in Nectar are perfect for giving you a bright, orange lip. Remember, this is one of those trends where “matchy-matchy” is not just okay, but encouraged. To that I say, go for it!
Truthfully, this needs to be a year round trend. Sunscreen is a must, even in the winter. Our skin is the largest bodily organ and often the most mistreated. A good sunscreen helps prevent premature aging and skin damage.
We would LOVE to see how you’re rocking these Summer 2018 trends! Post your looks on Social Media and use hashtag #Just4GirlsPK to share with us!
If you liked this article, here’s another one you’re sure to love: Miracle Lip Treatments to Add to Your Self-Care Stash This Summer.