Skincare Talk: How to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Eye Bags
If you’re like me, dark circles are the bane of your existence and you spend every waking moment combatting them. The truth is, dark circles are something most (if not all) of us are going to deal with at some point.
What causes dark circles, anyway? There are a number of factors that lead to our undereye area looking less than peppy. Dark circles can pop up for many reasons: age, genetic predispositions, stress, lack of sleep, diet, eye strain, allergies, and dehydration.
The first thing I look at when I start noticing my undereye area is darker than it normally is or should be is, how much water have I been drinking? I recently got one of those humongous gallon sized water jugs that look almost like a cartoon bottle. Before you laugh, drinking a gallon of water a day has really made a difference in how I feel. Yes, it’s tough to finish that entire bottle, but trust me, I feel it when I skip drinking my water.
You can also try clearing out your sinuses with a neti pot. Sometimes if we have sinus pressure, it can put undue stress on the eye area and lead to puffiness. I try to use my neti pot at least once a week. Be sure to consult with your healthcare provider first to make sure this method is best for you, though.
Staring at a computer or phone screen daily can also lead to dark circles under the eyes. It can cause strain on your eyes, and when this happens, the blood vessels around your eyes began to enlarge. Investing in a good pair of blue screen glasses or a blue screen protector for your computer or mobile device. I got one for my phone, and I can honestly tell you that it made a difference in such a big way. I don’t feel so lethargic or get as many headaches when I have to stare at my screen for long amounts of time. If you have more than one device, getting a pair of the glasses might be your best bet. That way, you can use them at work, at home, wherever you will be staring at a screen more than a couple of hours a day.
Overexposure from the sun is another factor which can lead to dark circles underneath the eye. When you go out, be sure to apply sunscreen and wear a hat, as well as a good pair of sunglasses. I seriously wear my sunglasses year round, not just in the Summer. This will help shield your eyes and face from harmful UV rays. Just4Girls.pk has a really great selection of sunscreens available on their website. Here are a few I definitely recommend:
- Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Moisture Defense Lotion: This protects against UVA/UVB rays as well as offers anti-aging benefits while keeping skin hydrated.
- Avene Cr Jour SPF 30: This is a really good day cream which has an SPF 30 in it. If you have mature skin and are seeing the signs of slackening more often, then I recommend giving this a try. Hyaluronic Acid and Pre-Tocopheryl (which is Vitamin E in a photostable form) work together to help keep skin firm and plump looking.
- VLCC Moisturizing Sun Block Cream: This is a great sun lotion which contains SPF 25. This formula is enriched with natural ingredients, including lemon. Vitamin C is one of the best sources of antioxidants and can act like super boosts for your skin. This formula is suitable for all skin types, and it is very reasonably priced.
- Cosmedix Hydrate + SPF 17 Moisturizing Sunscreen: This formula provides daily broad spectrum protection against UV rays. This comes in a handy travel sized option, and I most definitely having a small one to keep in your purse. Especially if you work outside, or you’re in and out during your normal day to day activities.
Another area I take a closer look at are my skincare products. Am I using a good undereye cream, am I washing my face, am I removing all of my eye makeup at the end of the day? Some days I get lazy and I do a half-way job of removing my shadow, concealer and foundation. This can cake up overnight and dry out your skin (not to mention breed bacteria that cause breakouts). Using a good gentle eye makeup remover followed by an overnight cream can drastically reduce under eye bags.
Here are some of my favorite eye creams, all available at Just4Girls.pk:
- Eminence Hibiscus Ultra Lift Eye Cream: The main feature I love about this product is the stainless steel rollerball applicator. This massages and sooths your undereye area, plus it applies the product gently and without much pressure. This formula de puffs tired eyes, smooths wrinkles and minimizes the appearance of dark under-eye circles.
- Makeup Revolution Skincare Targeted Under Eye Serum: I love this serum because it’s budget friendly and actually does what it says it’s going to do. This formula contains caffeine and hyaluronic acid, which are superstars when it comes to reviving a dull and tired-looking under eye area. I also like to cocktail this serum with my concealer (you don’t need to add a lot to your concealer, just a tiny bit) to give long-lasting hydration and freshness so you’ll have the beautiful glow all day long.
- Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Eye Concentrate: PTR is one of the skincare leaders in the world today. I have tried many of their products and can definitely say I have never been disappointed. What makes this formula so special? This contains six very potent anti-aging neuropeptides which help reduce the appearance of eye area wrinkles (both deep and fine). What is a neuropeptide? In basic terms, these are the building blogs of skin-necessary proteins, such as elastin or collagen. Elastin and Collagen are the elements which give your skin a youthful, healthy look. As we age, we naturally lose collagen in our skin, which is why it is very important to choose products which have these ingredients in them.
- Elemis Peptide4 Eye Recovery Cream: This is another great eye recovery cream is formulated for all skin types and helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The combination of antioxidants and coconut oil also helps combat dark circles, free radical damage and the effects of environmental pollutant.
- Peter Thomas Roth Instant Firmx Eye Tightener: This is definitely the perfect companion for the PTR Un-Wrinkle Eye Concentrate. This will instantly and temporarily tighten your undereye area, diminishing the signs of anti-aging and crows feet. This is a little different in that it provides temporary tightness, which is why I recommend using it in conjunction with another under-eye serum.
- ELF Hydrogel Under Eye Masks: I absolutely love under-eye masks. This comes with three hydrogel mask sets which you can use two to three times a week. These soothe, plump, moisturize and brighten your skin. Ingredients such as seaweed extract, licorice and purified water help hydrate and reduce puffiness underneath the eye area.
- Kiehls Daily Hydration Duo: This is a great set which comes with a facial moisturizer and a creamy eye treatment. The eye treatment contains Avocado Oil, which is a rich and natural source of Vitamins A, D, E and Potassium. Here’s another tip: eating an avocado a day has shown to help your skin overall feel more moisturized, healthy and rich. I wouldn’t do more than one per day if you’re trying to count calories, but if you’re like me and you’re not, then by all means, eat two or three a day. I try to include avocado into all of my dishes and snacks so that I get a healthy serving of good fats as well as am helping hydrate my skin. The facial moisturizer also has squalene, which is a highly refined botanical lipid created from the essence of olives and shea butter, which is a hydration superstar. Word to the wise, though, if you’re oily, shea butter could end up being really heavy and could cause breakouts. I would check with one of our Beauty Advisors before purchasing to make sure these products would be the perfect companion for your skin.
Undereye creams aren’t the only element to a successful skincare routine. Keeping your skin clean, moisturized and toned all work toward keeping your face as a whole looking good, especially your undereye area. Here are some great cleansers, masks and other skincare products which can help you improve your overall skin health:
- Kiehls Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque: Nothing makes me feel better than a good mask. This is a clay mask that helps draw out dirt, toxins and oil while hydrating and protecting skin. This mask can also help reduce the appearance of enlarged pores. I wouldn’t recommend using this more than twice a week, because if you’re doing too much extracting, it could throw your skin off balance and actually cause more breakouts or dry your skin too much. It’s important to know how often to use certain products and keep yourself on a good routine. Create a little daily calendar if need be (I have one) that you can check off when you’ve hit your skin goal for the day.
- Erno Laszlo Detoxifying Cleansing Oil: Laszlo is one of those underrated skincare brands that seems to get pushed to the side. This formula combines charcoal and shea butter seedcake extract to both cleanse and detox your skin. I really love how this will help not only remove your makeup, but gently cleanse your skin as well. It’s a bit on the higher side, but you don’t have to use a large amount; a small dime-sized amount will work wonders.
- Elemis Travel Size Pro-Collagen Marine Cream: I absolutely love this cream, and it is one of the best available on the market. This would be best for more mature skin or skin that is prone to be dry/very dry. Active ingredients include Chlorella, Ginkgo Biloba, and Padina Pavonica.
- Evoluderm Micellar Cleansing Water for Combination Skins: Micellar water is a fabulous product that has been around for many years now. Originally developed in Paris, the product was created as a waterless way to wash skin and remove makeup due to contaminates in the city’s harsh tap water. It’s handy, easy to use and I use it daily. Evoluderm’s formula is 100% made in France, is all natural and will gently cleanse skin and removing makeup.
- Evoluderm Soothing Mask Pink Clay: This is another really great mask that helps purify and soften skin. I would apply this two times a week, be sure to avoid the eye area and don’t leave on for more than ten minutes. You’ll be amazed at how soft and clean your skin feels afterward.
- Evoluderm Anti-Imperfections Exfoliating Cleansing Gel: Hands down, one of my favorite cleansers of all time. I could literally use this every single day. This features Pink Grapefruit, Zinc, and Rice Microparticles to exfoliate and cleanse your skin. The Zinc and Pink Grapefruit work together as a powerful astringent to reduce acne and breakouts. It’s very important to have a good astringent based exfoliating cleanser if you deal with acne and breakouts that you can use daily. I’ve used this one daily, and it has made a huge difference in my skin and in its overall appearance.
- Evoluderm Anti-Imperfections Matifying Skin Care: This is the perfect companion for the Exfoliating Cleansing Gel. Use this daily to not only keep your skin nourished and hydrated, but also to combat breakouts and diminish blemishes as well.
- Andalou Naturals Citrus Kombucha Cleansing Gel: Andalou has some really great products out there, and their claim to fame is using Fruit Stem Cell science, which is a fancy term for combining essence of fruit to create powerful skincare products. This one has willow bark and aloe vera gel as well as citrus and kombucha to purify your skin and wash away dirt, oil and grime. Most of their products smell great too, which is an added plus for me.
Not sure which product is right for you? Be sure to message our Beauty Advisor, Jaweria Artistry! She is ready to help you with all of your makeup and skincare needs! Drop her a line today on Insta, or Message her on Just4Girls.pk!