The Best Moisturizer for ME
Finding your perfect moisturizer is easier than you think. It isn’t hard to get overwhelmed at the literal millions of choices that are on the market today. Pretty much everyone has their own cosmetics and or skincare line, which makes it even tougher for customers to narrow down which product is best for them.
Here are some very basic ways to find your perfect moisturizer and not get super stressed out:
What is your skin type?
If you’re a newbie to skincare and cosmetics in general, you may not know the answer to this question right now, and that’s okay. That’s what we are here for!
There are several different ways to determine what your skin type is, according to the article “How to Determine Your Skin Type” by Tatcha. Here are the methods that the article discusses:
- Use a blotting sheet: According to Tatcha, this is the fastest way to determine whether you have oily or dry skin. Take a blotting sheet and pat it on different areas of your face (forehead, chin, nose, cheeks). Then take a look at the sheet. If you see pretty much no oil (or very little), then chances are you have dry skin. If you see a good amount to a lot of oil, then you’re oily. Combination skin mostly has dry patches everywhere except the forehead and nose, so if your blotting paper picked up oil from those area and nowhere else, then you’re combination.
- Wash your face and pat dry. Do not add any other products (serums, moisturizers, toners) whatsoever. Leave your skin completely bare. Wait about a half hour, then examine yourself in the mirror to see if you see any shine. Give it another thirty minutes, then if you see noticeable shine all over, you’re oily. If it’s shiny only in the forehead and nose area, you’re combination. If you go to smile and your skin feels really tight and parched, you have dry skin.
Once you’ve determined your skin type, then you can decide which ingredients would best suit your own individual needs.
This is where some real detective work comes into play. Sure, there are thousands of good moisturizers that are suited for dry skin, but not all of them are going to work for you. You have to choose one that makes you feel good (and that includes how the product smells). We also have different budgets that fit us individually, so you might want to go with a more cost-friendly product, which is perfectly fine. I use both budget-happy and prestige products in my daily routine interchangeably and I love both sets. They both do the job just as well.
Here are some of my favorite facial moisturizer picks by skin type, and of course, all of them are available at Just4Girls.pk:
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream: I think this product does much better for dry skin (possibly combination) than oily skin. I tried using this and it didn’t work for me, because I’m oily and it seemed to cause breakouts. Squalane from olives is one of the active ingredients used in this product as well as Glycerin. Squalane is a moisturizing ingredient that can be found in organisms and plants. Kiehls Squalane is olive-plant derived, so it is not made from animal fats. It helps moisten your skin, reduce the appearance of fine lines and dry patches and makes your skin more supple. This product provides twenty four hour hydration, balances skin areas (even the really dry places) and absorbs easily with an ultra lightweight texture. It is also suitable for sensitive skin. The packaging says it’s good for all skin textures and types, but I found it did not suit my particular oily skin. It might work differently for others, but it didn’t seem to do well for mine and caused breakouts.
- Elemis Hydra-Nourish Night Cream: Elemis has some really great products, which tend to be on the higher scale price wise. They are totally worth every bit of money you spend on them. However, I’ve also found that many of the Elemis products are a bit heavier and more suited for dry skin. This is a really great night cream which is anti-oxidant rich and works to prevent moisture loss and de stress tired skin.
- Evoluderm Nourishing Day Care: This is one of my favorite brands, and it is available exclusively at Just4Girls.pk. This is formulated for dry and sensitive skin and will provide long-lasting moisture. One thing I love the most about this product is that it is infused with Rose Floral Water, which is a skincare ingredient that has been used for thousands of years. Sweet Almond Oil is the ingredient which moisturizes and protects skin all day long. Evoluderm products are manufactured completely in France and are available for a really great price!
Normal and Combination Skin:
- Evoluderm Moisturizing Day Care Cream: This is another amazing Evoluderm product, only this formula is for Normal to Combination Skin. Aloe Vera is the primary active ingredient in this product, which is composed of ninety-nine percent water. Not only is Aloe Vera an endless source of hydration and helps couter act daily water loss, it also is known for reparative and healing properties. Have you ever burned yourself and then used the extract from an Aloe Vera plant on your skin to soothe the burn? Image that healing power in your moisturizer which is helping your skin retain moisture and soothing any irritation throughout the day. This also includes rice powder to combat shine, because Combination skin type can get a little oily in that T-Zone area (forehead and nose). I would definitely add this to your cart, because not only is it a great product, it’s super budget friendly also.
- The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors: This is another great budget range moisturizer that is good for combination and normal skin. This formula is made up of multiple fatty acids, triglycerides, amino acids, hyaluronic acid and several other compounds that help skin retain moisture and fight against the signs of aging. It comes in a non greasy formula (who doesn’t love that), and can be worn all day long.
- L’Oreal Paris Revitalift Ginseng Red Cream: I love this one, because it is a firming day cream speficially formulated and developed for customers aged forty and up. This cream has an advanced Pro-Retinol (a very powerful ingredient that helps reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles) and red ginseng. What’s so special about red ginseng? Well, it helps boost the skin and give it a youthful appearance while working to reduce the signs of fatigue. This cream also has red pigments which give skin a beautiful radiant, fresh glowing appearance. It’s definitely very wallet friendly, and worth giving a try!
- Peter Thomas Roth AHA/BHA Acne Clearing Gel: First things, first. If you are currently struggling with acne and breakouts, you want to treat the acne before trying to add a lot of new products (although you still need a good moisturizer to prevent over drying, which I will detail in #2 of this section). I would definitely suggest this treatment system. It is a bit pricey, but Peter Thomas Roth products are well known for how well they work. First, you want to cleanse your skin, then apply a thin layer one time daily. This will keep you from excessive drying out of the skin. Here’s one thing I learned about acne after struggling with it literally for years: skipping out on moisturizer isn’t going to help keep acne at bay; it will make it worse. I still have issues with adult acne from time to time, but not as badly as when I was younger. The best way to combat acne is to keep a good, solid routine: cleanse, treat, appropriate moisturizer, wash face before bedtime/remove all makeup, wake up and start again. I used to think if I put a cream on my skin then it would bring my acne back. Actually, when you’re using an acne treatment, the treatment itself is actually drying out your skin (so the acne will dry up and go away). However, if you don’t put the right kind of moisture back into the skin, your skin is going to freak out and start OVER-producing oil which, you guessed it, brings back acne with a vengeance. That being said, on to the moisturizer I love the most for oily and acne prone skin…
- Evoluderm Anti Imperfections Mattifying Moisturizer for Combination to Oily Skin: This is one of my Holy Grail products. The active ingredients in this product are Zinc, Pink Grapefruit Extract and Plant-based rice powder. What do these do for your skin? I will gladly tell you. First, the Pink Grapefruit Extract intensely purifies, Zinc acts as an astringent (which is the superingredient that dries up acne and blemishes), and the rice powder mattifies the skin (keeps it from looking oily all day). Together, this formula helps your skin look more even, tightens pores, reduces imperfections and keeps your skin hydrated. I would recommend getting the companion cleanser: Evoluderm Anti-Imperfections Exfoliating Cleansing Gel. It has all of the ingredients in the moisturizer, but this is an exfoliating cleanser with little rice microparticles that help unclog pores and exfoliate in depth. Exfoliating your skin and keeping it clean does wonders for keeping acne under control. Sometimes acne is something that we all have to deal with at certain times in our life; there are periods where it has to get worse before it gets better. However, if you have a good, solid cleansing, treatment and moisturizing routine that’s suited for your skin type, acne is easier to manage. Of course, you should always conduct a healthcare professional when it comes to the treatment that is best for your particular skin, because we are all different and we all have individual needs.
Choose the skincare routine that best suits your day to day life:
Everyone has their own unique daily routine which can contribute to what kind of creams and products are best for you. If you’re working in an office all day long, then you might only need to apply your SPF for your commute to work and home or if you go out for lunch. If you work in an office and are seated by a window, then you definitely want to make sure you’re re applying that SPF and maybe giving your daily moisturizer a boost every few hours or so. I once worked a job at a front office where I was literally right next to a triple window. I didn’t realize how much the sun was drying my face out until I started getting dry patches on the right side of my face (and I’m oily, by the way). I had to up my water intake and make sure I was refreshing my moisturizer throughout the day.
If your office tends to be either very hot or very cold, then you definitely want to bring companion products to help protect your skin. Cold environments can chap your skin no matter what your skin type. Hot venues can make us sweat more, so it is important to bring blotting papers and maybe an extra powder compact to work to freshen up. Take a little vial of cleanser if you have to and reboot your look during the lunch hour (if your schedule allows). I wear very little foundation and concealer, so I’m able to give my forehead, nose and chin a quick little wash at lunch if I’ve been outside and have gotten a little oily during the day.
There are those of us who work outside on a daily basis, and we need to make sure we are definitely keeping our SPF fresh and our day cream always replenished. I work in Property Management during the day, and I’m often out and about doing home inspections. Being exposed to the elements can wreak some real havoc on my skin if I’m not making sure to use my SPF, reapply my creams and use my blotting powders (even while driving in my car).
As always, make sure you’re hydrating as much as possible. Carry a little water bottle with you to work and make a goal to drink at least three a day (if you can and your office allows it). Definitely double and triple that if you work outside. Wear hats and sunglasses any time you’re out in the elements; this will protect your eyes, scalp and face. Damage from the sun is one of the leading causes of skin cancer and aging.